Rising air pollution levels, increasing mountains of waste, choking of our drains and water bodies with plastic, rampant cutting of trees and forests to build roads & buildings, reducing green spaces and falling ground water tables are for all city folks to witness.
Healing Our Cities is an endeavour to create and build a collective eco-consciousness among people living in urban areas based on values of compassion and respect for the planet we inhabit. Our aim is to inspire city folks to heal the degraded environment of urban spaces by spearheading eco-initiatives in their homes, residential communities and work places. We believe that when individuals and communities come together and decide to take action, they can drive positive change which can go a long way in reducing the air, water and soil pollution that we see in all our towns and cities.
If this concept interests you, please subscribe to our blog with your email address. Our website and blogs will showcase films, success stories and case studies of eco-conscious individuals and communities who are leading the way towards healthier, cleaner and greener cities.
Creating Eco-Conscious Communities
- Forming and sustaining eco-clubs in your neighbourhood
- Building capacities of children to champion environment related causes
- Celebrating festivals in an eco-friendly way to reduce pollution and waste
- Waste segregation
- Home composting
- Community level composting solutions
- Horticulture waste management
- Electronic waste management
- Waste minimisation
- Plastic waste reduction
- Sustainable menstruation
Healing in Nature
- Planting native trees, shrubs and plants to improve air quality
- Organising activities for children and adults to connect with nature
- Being part of campaigns to save our green spaces
- Water saving by implementing measures such as sewage treatment plants, grey water recycling and others
- Recharging falling ground water tables in cities by constructing rain water harvesting pits & storm water drain recharge in residential communities, institutions & office complexes
- Installing solar panels for heating and lighting
- Implementing measures to promote energy efficiency
Neelam Ahluwalia is a passionate environmentalist who works as a development sector consultant and documentary film maker. She enjoys volunteering her time for environment and social campaigns and promoting eco-consciousness in communities.
Nitin Das is a film maker who loves to make films to inspire city folks to connect with nature and find their inner calm. He is currently working on the Japanese concept of healing with nature through nature walks and meditations.
Monika Khanna Gulati is a design professional, educator and zero waste evangelist who is the co-founder of NCR Waste Matters, a citizen’s awareness and action group.
Keshav Jaini is an eco-champion from Gurgaon city who volunteers his time to promote community level, low cost, natural composting solutions along with permaculture, solar energy and other environment friendly initiatives.
Khyati Pathak is a software engineer who loves writing about green stories of change.
Akanksha Gambhir is a graphic designer who enjoys making catchy creatives to increase eco-awareness in urban communities. (http://www.decipher-designs.com/)